In this How to Lose Weight Fast article you will learn at home weight loss tips from a 10+ year weight loss professional.
For years I have coached clients in weight loss, healthy eating, meal planning. I have written 4 Best Selling Weight Loss Cookbooks for a prominent publishing house, and I have seen it ALL!
In this article I will show you how to lose weight fast, give you all my best weight loss tips, and even some you don’t think you need.
How to Lose Weight Fast
Losing weight fast all comes down to one thing: Not Falling Off The Wagon!
At Lose Weight By Eating we have several weight loss plans for fast weight loss. And most of them are free, on this website! Picking a plan and sticking to it is ideal, but you must remember, reasonable weight loss goals, and cravings you will give into must be taken into account!
That’s why I encourage eating for your cravings, not in spite of them!
Try one of these FREE Weight Loss Plans with meals:
- The Original Lose Weight By Eating Plan = Comfort food made healthy + Metabolism Boosting Food
- The Detox Week Plan = Smoothies and Salads help you trim down FAST!
- The 3 Day Detox = trying to figure out how to lose weight overnight? This one is for you!
Now that you know what weight loss plan you want to use, let’s get started on the weight loss tips!
10 Weight Loss Tips
Each of the below weight loss tips will show you how to lose weight fast.
These tips have helped my readers and clients meet and exceed their weight loss goals. I hope you learn as they have from this section for weight loss tips.
- How to Stop Emotional Eating
- Weight Loss Tips for Holidays and Parties
- How to Lose Weight In a Week
- Take the Eat this Not That Approach
- Healthy Options for Eating Out
- How to Lose Weight by Fasting Intermittently
- Weight Loss Goals and Resolutions New Year and Otherwise
- How to Lose Weight Without Exercise
- Weight Loss Food and Alcohol Hangover Remedies at Home
- Self Love – Accepting your Body and Learning to Love Yourself
You may ask me: “Why did you include a section on hangover remedies?” Because I know the weight loss tips you need, before you need them!
Having all the information before you start a weight loss journey, is like having all the ingredients before you start cooking a recipe. You don’t want to be “running back to the store” over and over again…
So, as you read through this article on How to Lose Weight Fast, make a mental note on the weight loss tips. Sure you might not need them now, but you may later!
1. How to Stop Emotional Eating
Depression and anxiety have shown to be a culprit in Emotional Eating. Tiredness, loneliness and boredom can also create stress that leads to emotional eating. (1)
If you’re looking for how to stop emotional eating, it’s all about distraction and self care.
Try treating the “illness” and not the “symptom” of emotional eating… Lonely, bored? Ask a friend to go for a walk with you. Tired or stressed? Try some self care!
You may be surprised to read this, but we are going to talk a lot about Self Care and Self Love in this How to Lose Weight Fast Article. Just let that soak in now, that weight loss, and taking good care of your body, is an act of self care and self love…
Try these activities to help you stop your emotional eating:
- Call a friend– Loneliness is a big precursor for emotional eating.
- Meditate– Stress is a large factor in emotional eating, try meditating to relax.
- Take a walk– Often emotional eating starts out as tiredness, instead of giving your body “fuel” get it moving to shake off the sleepiness.
- Practice self care– (more below) Self care can be as simple as a home pedicure, or as extravagant as a massage. Try some self love to release anxiety.
How to Stop Emotional Eating:
Treating the “illness” instead of the “symptoms” helps with Emotional Eating… The illness is the depression, anxiety, loneliness, etc. And the symptom is emotional eating.
2. Weight Loss Tips for Holidays and Parties
One of the biggest issues my weight loss coaching clients have, is how and what to eat when at a party or holiday gathering.
Holidays are stressful, and similar to parties, packed full of tempting food… So, how do you lose weight when surrounded by all that yummy food?
How to lose weight fast tips at parties and Holiday Gatherings:
- Use the 25% / 25% / 50% plate equation– Your plate should always consist of 25% lean protein / 25% whole grains / 50% vegetables.
- Get moving after you eat– At a party? Dance it out. A holiday gathering, go for a walk to look at Christmas lights or around the block. Just get moving!
- Leave the leftovers behind– The only leftovers you should bring home is leftover turkey/ham/chicken etc. Just bring home the lean protein and not the bready carbs!
- Limit it to one drink– We love a nice glass of wine with dinner, but stick to just one! Start and end with water to keep you full and away from the booze.
- Split dessert– I could never (and would never) tell you to skip dessert at a party or holiday gathering, just split it with someone! A few bites will be enough to satisfy your cravings, without blowing your diet.
- Bring something you can eat– Bring a vegetable side dish or salad that is healthy and low calorie. This way you know you can eat healthy, and with a dish you already know you’ll love. Still use the equation above.
How to Lose Weight at Holiday Gatherings and Parties:
Arrive prepared with a dish you know you love, and you can eat without guilt. Get your body moving, and limit your drinking are just a few tips from above.
3. How to Lose Weight In a Week
Trying to figure out how to lose weight in a week? It’s totally possible (within reason) and it’s all thanks to my Detox Diet Plan!
This one week detox diet plan is completely free, and filled with weight loss recipes.
If you are trying to figure out how to lose weight fast, this plan will show you how to lose weight in a week and keep it off.
How to lose weight in a week? Try a FREE Detox Plan:
How to Lose Weight In a Week:
Here at Lose Weight By Eating we have several FREE weight loss plans. This Detox Diet Plan helps you jumpstart weight loss, and even lose the last 5 pounds in just a week.
4. Take the “Eat this Not That” Approach
You’ve likely heard about the book “Eat This Not That“… and we are taking a page out of their book (pun intended) for this section.
My 4 Best Selling Cookbooks use smart swaps to help shed calories, and increase nutrition, and below you’ll find a list of items to swap for healthier results… All in a very “Eat This Not That” style I think everyone can appreciate.
“Eat this not that” Smart Swaps:
- Instead of Sugar = Try Honey, Real Maple Syrup, or Raw Stevia
- Instead of Bleached Flour = Try Whole Wheat
- Instead of Cooking Oil in Baking = Try Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- Instead of Sour Cream = Try Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- Instead of a Fruity Cocktail = Try wine, or a Low Calorie Cocktail
- Instead of Candy = Try your favorite fruit / 1 square Dark Chocolate
- Instead of Milk = Try Almond Milk
- Instead of Mild Cheese = Try sharp (you don’t need as much!)
- Instead of Soda = Try Sparking Water
- Instead of 100 Calorie Packs = Choose a Low Calorie Snack
All of these smart swaps fall into the “Eat This Not That” theme of picking healthier foods. This is how to lose weight fast, by making small changes that make a big impact.
Try the “Eat This Not That” Approach:
Making a few modifications to ingredients can make a huge impact on the healthiness of your next meal.We are not really talking about the popular book above, but the term is so popular we couldn’t skip sharing the book cover and link to it.
5. Healthy Options for Eating Out
Healthy options for eating out are a must when trying to lose weight.
Eating out is such a social event, and the idea of not eating out until you lose all your weight is just silly… but not as silly as skipping the step of learning what are the healthy options for eating out! So instead of asking “Is eating out healthy?” Ask “What are healthy options when eating out?”
Below you will find eating out healthy options, so you can enjoy yourself without blowing your diet.
Healthy Options For Eating Out:
- Plan your meal– Look up the menu online before you go, or ask your server for the healthy options at the table.
- Split a Meal– If you really want that pasta, or a burger, spilt it with someone!
- Plan out your drinks– Pick low calorie alcoholic drinks and drink lots of water.
- Limit the free bread or chips– Take 1/2 a roll or 10 chips, then ask them to take away the bowl. This is great for eating out low carb.
- Stay away from the sodas– even if it’s “zero calories” it can still harm weight loss. Drink water or soda water with lime/lemon wedges.
10 Restaurant Meal Examples Under 550 Calories (with Drinks)
Here are ten examples of meals of eating out healthily I would order if I went to a restaurant. Obviously, not every menu item I recommend will be available at all restaurant types, but I tried to keep it general. The point is to make good choices you won’t regret the next day.
Burger Restaurant – 520 calories
½ Turkey Burger, no cheese on wheat with coleslaw and iced tea.
Mexican Restaurant – 518 calories
5 chips with unlimited salsa, chicken fajitas split with hubby. 1 tortilla packed super full especially with the yummy veggies. Skip the cheese and the sour cream, load up on salsa and guacamole and a beer.
Steak Restaurant – 467 calories
6 oz steak with steamed veggies and a dry martini or glass of red wine.
Sushi Restaurant – 360 calories
Tuna roll and a Japanese beer.
Italian Restaurant – 420 calories
2 slices Margarita Pizza and a glass of red wine.
Greek Restaurant – 500 calories
Chicken kabob with ¼ cup rice and salad with tzatziki sauce and an iced tea.
BBQ Restaurant – 545 calories
Chicken breast with BBQ sauce, coleslaw and a beer.
Seafood Restaurant – 320 calories
4 oz Grilled salmon with steamed veggies and an iced tea.
Sandwich shop – 330 calories
Turkey on wheat with mustard and avocado, load up all the veggies they have. No mayo or cheese and an iced tea.
French Restaurant – 500 calories
Escargot and Champagne. (Sorry this is my favorite splurge and is all I really want when I walk into a French restaurant)
Healthy Options for Eating Out:
Planning out your meal before you arrive, more importantly before you are hungry, is the way to go if you’re trying to stick to eating out healthy.
6. How to Lose Weight by Fasting Intermittently
Intermittent Fasting is one of my favorite weight loss tools!
I am not a believer in limiting food, or starving yourself… but what if you learned how to lose weight by fasting intermittently without deducting your calories?
The idea between Intermittent Fasting is that you limit the hours in a day in which you consume calories. You can still have 3 meals and 2 snacks, but you have it in a 12 or even 8 hour time frame.
If you want to learn more on how to lose weight by fasting intermittently, check out my Intermittent Fasting here:
How to Lose Weight by Fasting Intermittently:
Intermittent fasting can be a great weight loss tool. If you are trying to find out how to lose weight fast, without limiting your diet, try intermittent fasting.
7. Weight Loss Goals and Resolutions New Year and Otherwise
When it comes to weight loss goals and resolutions New Year’s or otherwise, our biggest pitfall is picking weight loss goals that are unachievable.
I have heard people say “This year I’m going to do Yoga everyday” or “I’m going to lose 5 pounds a week”. Now both of these would be wonderful things to achieve… but are they really reasonable? Nope!
You want to pick a goal or a weight loss goal that you can easily meet weekly or daily, this way you can stay on track and have little wins that will keep you going.
In all my work with weight loss coaching clients, I can’t tell you how many times people have wanted to give up because they wanted to lose 10 pounds in a week but only lost 4… Four pounds a week for a year is 208 pounds, and while I have my calculator out– Just two pounds a week is 104 pounds in a year!
This happens over and over again and I’m always astounded at how people want to quit because they could not meet their unachievable goal… it’s almost as if they set themselves up for failure.
So next time you set up your weight loss goal, or set a New Year’s Resolution, set one that you can easily achieve… heck, pick one you KNOW you can beat! This will help keep you going, and is the key to how to lose weight fast.
Here are some good weight loss goals or resolutions:
- Lose 2 pounds a week.
- Give up diet sodas and replace with water or Homemade Skinny Soda.
- Workout 3 times a week.
- Replace 1/2 of the bread/grains I eat with whole wheat substitutions.
- Eat 25% more vegetables each day.
- Count my calories daily and plan meals weekly.
- Remove preservatives and chemicals from my family’s diet and replace with healthy all natural recipes.
Weight Loss Goals:
The key to setting weight loss goals, is setting ones you can beat… not meet! Set goals you can achieve weekly so you won’t give up.
8. How to Lose Weight Without Exercise
One of the most common questions is how to lose weight without exercise. And I’m excited to tell you it’s much easier than you think!
I love exercise for overall health and for Toning Up After Weight Loss… But what if you want to lose weight and you are dealing with an injury, or a disability? What if your schedule is so packed that you’re lucky to make the time to eat healthy, working out will have to come later?
You can lose weight without working out, and if I’m honest, weight loss happens in the kitchen, not in the gym.
Here is how you lose weight without exercise: You do great on your diet!
Seams too easy to be true, right? I have helped thousands of people lose weight, and I always tell them to concentrate on food intake first, when you hit a plateau, THEN add in the exercise!
My original Lose Weight By Eating weight loss plan is based around how to lose weight weight without exercise! So check out the free plan for yourself:
How to lose weight without exercise:
Here’s the exciting news… weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym! It is completely possible to lose weight without working out with the Lose Weight By Eating Plan.
9. Weight Loss Food and Alcohol Hangover Remedies at Home
Eat too much or drink too much! You don’t want to chase too much food or too much alcohol with more junk!
I know that this may seam strange in an article on How to Lose Weight Fast, as one of the top 10 weight loss tips… but it is more important that you can imagine!
This will happen… you will eat or drink too much, you are human, you will trip. The idea here is not to fall flat on your face, into a pile of baked goods!
I don’t tell you this to discourage you, I say it because it’s not the mistakes we make that define us (or our situation) it’s what we do after that really counts!
Here are some tips and hangover remedies at home to help you feel better fast, without blowing your diet.
Try these remedies of hangover next time you eat or drink too much:
- Drink water = One gallon per day is ideal for better health, and will flush our system.
- Go vegetarian for 24-48 hours = Remove impurities by filling your body with vegetables and simple whole grains.
- Take a steam = Visit your local gym or YMCA and get a day pass to use their steam room or sauna.
- Spice is your friend = For remedies to hangover for alcohol, spicy food will help you burn off the booze and feel better fast!
- Choose potatoes over pasta = If you crave pasta, try sweet potatoes, or your favorite savory potatoes. They have more nutrition and fewer calories than pasta or bread.
Hangover remedies at home:
Don’t blow your diet just because you feel gross! Water, vegetables, spice, and potatoes can help you feel better fast without ruining your diet.
10. Self Love – Accepting your Body and Learning to Love Yourself
How often do you do it? Look in the mirror and say “I look fat” or something equally negative.
Now my second question… does that help your weight loss journey?
The answer is no! Absolutely not! Weight loss is hard enough without putting yourself down. And now I’m going to share the story of how I fell short on my weight loss goals:
Years ago I gave up on “the last 5 pounds”! Not because it couldn’t be done, not because I was lazy… because my body told me to!
I had lost over 150 pounds in less than a year, I looked and felt amazing, and I realized the last 5 pounds was not going to get me into a size zero dress, it was just going to lower my bra cup size!
I even lost 3 of the five pounds at one point and people started getting worried… “you’re getting too thin” or “you look sick”. Now I hate that kind of body shaming, but they were right, I was too thin for my build, and I was making myself sick (sick with saggy boobies!) and so I stopped.
I allowed myself to gain back the 3 pounds, and with that came a lot of self hatred and shame. But I’ve overcome that, and this lesson can help at any stage of weight loss, at the beginning or the end, and everywhere in-between.
You only get one body, LOVE IT!
Thank your thick thighs for being strong and for carrying you, thank your stretch-marked tummy for giving you beautiful babies. Thank your body at all the stages, because weight loss is hard enough without putting yourself down!
At a certain point in your weight loss journey your body may hold firm on the last 2-7 pounds… and in this small section I want to encourage you to love yourself and give yourself a little grace!
In any stage, self care and self love is imperative! Here are my tips for self care and self love. Try some out today!
Tips to Self Love and Ideas for Self Care:
- Each day look in the mirror and give yourself a compliment for 30 days.
- Do your hair/makeup/etc just for you!
- Give yourself a home manicure or pedicure.
- Take a bath, play your favorite music and relax.
- Read a book, alone. If you must, hide from the kids in the bathroom.
- Take a walk, pick out 5 beautiful things you see on your journey, maybe take photos of them and revisit later when you “need” them.
- Wear your best undies/lingerie for yourself… not just your partner/date.
- Write in a journal daily, state 3 things you’re grateful for. Extra points for them being 3 things you love about yourself or your body.
- Meditate or pray alone.
- Go for a bike ride, walk, run just for you… Not for exercise, just to feel good.
Self care and self love are so important for weight loss:
Give yourself a little grace! Weight loss is hard enough without putting yourself down!
This nutrition calculator can help you figure out the calories in your favorite meals… Lose Weight By Eating or otherwise.
I have also started enjoying Very Well Fit as a nutrition calculator.
No matter which nutrition calculator for recipes you choose, make sure you’re looking at ingredients as well as calories. Removing preservatives and fake sugars is more important than cutting calories when it comes to how to lose weight naturally.