This Low Calorie Lentil Curry Soup in a Slow Cooker is just 166 calories, and vegan! The easy lentil soup recipe is the easiest crockpot lentil soup. It’s almost and “dump everything in and walk away” soup, so easy you’ll want to make it all season long.
Everything You’ll Need
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Curry Paste
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 can (28-oz) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 can (13-oz) lite coconut milk
Low Calorie Lentil Curry Soup in a Slow Cooker
Low Calorie Lentil Soup Protein Add-Ins
- Shredded Chicken… You can add shredded chicken to this recipe in several ways. First, you can cook a chicken breast (or 2) in the soup while it cooks, remove and shred then add back. Second, you can add leftover shredded chicken in the last 10 minutes of cook time. And finally you can heat up some leftover chicken and add it to a topping bar, so just the non vegans can add it in.
- Pulled Pork… Just like the shredded chicken, you can add leftover pulled pork into the crockpot for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Or reheat shredded pork and add it to the topping bar.
- Turkey or Chicken Sausage… Finally, you can cook 1-3 turkey or sausages either in the soup (then remove crumble and add back in) or separately and add it to the topping bar for the non vegans in your life.
Healthy Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Meal Prep and Storage
Meal Prep – Cook the soup and then allow to cool completely. Scoop single servings into individual containers, or family sized servings into gallon freezer bags (or jars/containers with lids).
Frozen Soup – Be sure any container is only filled 2/3 full as the soup will expand in the freezer. Store for up to a month in the freezer. If freezing gallon bags, lay flat to freeze to save storage room.
Refrigerated Soup – Will hold in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Reheating – Add to a medium or large sauce pot, heat frozen for 30 minutes on low, or defrosted soup for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat. If the lentils have swelled and soaked up some of the liquid, add 1/8 cup water per serving.
Low Calorie Lentil Curry Soup Recipe
More Low Calorie Vegetarian Soup Recipes:
Low Calorie Lentil Curry Soup
- slow cooker
Optional Curry Lentil Soup Toppings:
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- More lite coconut milk see note below about holding some back
- Sliced jalapeños
- Lime Juice
- To a slow cooker add the onions. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, and curry paste. Mix together until the curry paste is covering all the onions.
- Add the remaining ingredients (you may want to keep 1/2 of coconut milk to top the soup with) to the slow cooker and mix together.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Serve hot with desired toppings.
About the Author
Hi, my name is Audrey Johns and I am a 4 time best selling cookbook author! All 4 of my low calorie cookbooks are published by HarperCollins (the oldest publishing house in the US!) and have been featured on prominent TV shows like The Today Show, Rachael Ray and The Doctors. I am a low calorie and healthy recipe authority and my delicious recipes are tried and loved by thousands of readers.
After a one year 150 pound weight loss (and I’ve kept it off for 13 years!) I started sharing all of my low calorie recipes with the world. They are always all-natural and geared around weight loss and weight management. I have even made some of these recipes with my Biggest Loser pal Bob Harper! Check out my weight loss story, my best selling cookbooks, and my numerous TV appearances by clicking here.