Why should you try a Three Day Detox Diet? Do you feel like you’ve been eating too much food lately? Or that the food you’ve been eating is making you feel bloated? Perhaps you have an event later this week that you want to quickly drop a few pounds for?
If you feel you need a quick reset, this Three Day Detox Diet will help you feel healthy, less bloated and full of energy. The Three Day Detox plan is more about a jump start on your health, but a happy side effect is a 4-6 pound weight loss!
How does the Three Day Detox Diet work?
The Three Day Detox plan is a simplified version of the ever popular Detox Diet Week. I’ve taken the most effective weight loss days and combined them into an effective Three Day Detox Diet. If you’re looking for a more detoxifying and food craving reset, the longer Detox Week is ideal. However, if you’re looking to drop weight or bloat fast, this will help you get there in just 72 hours.
As you’ll find further in this article, you can continue on after three days, in fact this is how I eat about 50% of the week. I’ve found that once a month is also very helpful for overcoming plateaus, and as the plan is and always will be free, why not participate once a month?!
The Three Day Detox Diet Guide:
Day #1- you’ll have 2 Detox Smoothies, one 500 Calorie Meal (this can be breakfast, lunch or dinner) and 2 Detox Snacks. Plus detox drinks.
Day #2- you’ll have 2 Detox Smoothies, one 500 Calorie Meal (this can be breakfast, lunch or dinner) and 2 Detox Snacks. Plus detox drinks.
Day #3 –you’ll have 2 Detox Smoothies, one 500 Calorie Meal (this can be breakfast, lunch or dinner) and 2 Detox Snacks. Plus detox drinks.
Here’s an example of the Three Day Detox Diet:
Guide to a Perfect Detox Smoothie Recipe.
In my first cookbook LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING, I wrote an insert called Guide to a Perfect Salad. It’s become very popular with readers, so I decided to include a Detox Smoothie version for this Three Day Detox Diet.
Here’s the equation for a perfect Detox Smoothie recipe. And to clarify, by perfect I mean packed full of healthy ingredients to jumpstart your metabolism, that actually tastes yummy. Yes, it can be done (skip the equation and find over 20 delicious recipes here).
Ideally, a Detox Smoothie recipe should be about 300 calories. If doing the math is too cumbersome, I’ve done all the math on over 20 recipes here.
Step 1: Greens
One cup of leafy greens per serving. If you’re just starting out on Green Smoothies, I recommend you choose baby spinach as it’s the most flavorless.
Here are my favorite greens in order of flavor, baby spinach having little to no flavor and chard having a little bite:
- Baby spinach
- Red Leaf Lettuce
- Baby Kale
I like to get the smoothie mixture of greens at my grocery store, it has a mixture of the ingredients above and really packs the nutrition.
Step 2: Fruit
Half a cup of fruit per serving.I recommend purchasing frozen fruit as it’s often less expensive, plus frozen fruit will make your smoothie cold.
Great fruit for smoothies:
Step 3: Healthy Fat
It’s difficult to offer a blanket measure for healthy fats, so that measurement will be noted with each ingredient.
Here are some of my favorite healthy fats:
- Avocado (¼ to ½ avocado)
- Organic Coconut Oil (1 teaspoon)
- Almond Butter (1/2 tablespoon)
- Peanut Butter (1/2 tablespoon)
Healthy fat is so very important for overall health as well as weight loss and maintenance. By feeding your body healthy fat you are feeding your brain, this way it turns off the hunger urge. Plus, healthy fats also help your body release excess fat. Fat is coming in, so your body no longer needs to hoard fat on the body for survival.
Step 4: Liquid
Half a cup to a full cup per serving, depending on preference.
Here are healthy liquids to thin out your smoothie:
- Water (hey, it’s ZERO calories!)
- Almond Milk (Unsweetened )
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk (in the refrigerated section)
- Unsweetened Cashew Milk (in the refrigerated section)
- Celery Juice
Fruit juice should not be used, there is far too many calories and sugar in it. Plus, you’re already adding fruit to the smoothie! If you choose traditional cow’s milk, skip Step 3 as you will be getting your fat in the milk.
Extra Credit: Healthy add ins
One serving of these healthy add ins will boost your Detox Smoothie into a supercharged drink! Follow the serving size on the ingredient package for the correct amount and for maximum benefit.
The best smoothie add ins:
- Coconut Protein Powder (vegan)
- Collagen Powder
- Maca Powder (good in nutty smoothies)
- Flax Seed Mill
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
For a sweeter smoothie you can add ½ teaspoon of real maple syrup or honey to sweeten up.
If you’re wary about creating your own smoothie recipe, don’t fret! You can find 23 delicious Detox Smoothie recipes in LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING DETOX WEEK.
Ideal Three Day Detox Diet Meals:
You can enjoy your Three Day Detox Diet 500 calorie meal anytime of the day, in fact I recommend you plan your other meals around it. For instance, say you have a lunch meeting or a date later tonight, that would be your 500 calorie meal and the other meals should be smoothies. This means that the Three Day Detox Diet is something you can easily do without modifying social plans.
If you’re looking for new 500 calorie meals, all three of my cookbooks are filled with 500 calorie or less meals. My second cookbook LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING DETOX WEEK will best suit your needs while on the Three Day Detox Diet as it also has lots of Detox Smoothie, Detox Snack and Detox Drink recipes. However, one can’t ignore all the under 500 calorie comfort food meals in my other cookbooks LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING and LOSE WEIGHT WITH YOUR INSTANT POT.
Here are some examples of meals under 500 calories, use the extra calories for a second serving or a (single) glass of wine:
Tip- Do you like a glass of wine with dinner? With this Three Day Detox plan you can enjoy one glass of white or red wine! I like to have a lower calorie dinner so that the glass of wine is part of the 500 calories allotted for dinner. However, you can always trade in a snack for that glass of wine!
Three Day Detox Diet Snacks and Drinks:
Detox Diet Snacks should be roughly 100 calories and raw ingredients, not packaged items. The goal of the Three Day Detox Diet is to rid your body of the processed food and fake sugars and replace those ingredients with all natural ingredients. This will ensure better health and better weight maintenance.
Detox Diet Snack Examples:
- 1 cup blueberries (85 calories)
- 2 cups strawberries (99 calories)
- 13 whole almonds (90 calories)
- Medium apple (70 calories)
- Hard-boiled egg (75 calories)
- 1 cup air popped popcorn with 1 teaspoon butter (95 calories)
Find the full list of 25 Snacks Under 100 Calories in LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING.
During your Three Day Detox Diet you will want to strive to drink one gallon of water per day. I realize that seams difficult, and it very well may be. So do your best. The water raises your metabolism, so you will want to drink your full gallon for maximum results. There are some Detox Drink recipes below (the first 3) to help you get to a gallon.
Detox Drinks and Detox Water:
- Lemon Water (Detox Water)
- Strawberry Water (Detox Water)
- Fruit Infused Detox Water
- Organic Green Tea Detox Drinks
- Coffee, with all natural creamer and all natural sugar or honey. (limit to 1 per day)
- For a Treat (should replace a snack) try:
When it comes to weight loss and weight maintenance, consuming processed food and fake sugars will only pack on the pounds. Never is that more of an issue than in the snack and drink area of our diets. So be sure to stay away from packaged snacks for the 3 days you’re on the plan.
Three Day Detox Diet Meal Planner
Here you will find the printable Lose Weight By Eating Meal Plan. It works quite well for the Three Day Detox Diet, and if you plan your meals after the plan has ended, you’ll be more likely to keep to you healthy new ways!
Three Day Detox Meal Plan
Three Day Detox Meal Plan (PDF + RECIPES)
- Meal Planner (SEE BELOW!)
5 Detox Protein Smoothie Recipes:
5 Detox Green Smoothie Recipes:
5 Detox Soups that Count As Smoothies:
15 Detox Meal Recipes:
- Healthy Spaghetti Recipe with Hidden Veggie Bolognese Sauce (vegan)
- Rainbow Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner Recipe (GF)
- Healthy Vegan Rice Bowls (vegan, GF)
- Creamy Chicken Stew in Crockpot (GF)
- Curried Lentil Soup in Slow Cooker (vegan, GF)
- Vegan Stuffed Butternut Squash Recipe (vegan, GF)
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep Recipe (GF)
- Healthy Vegetarian Meal Prep Recipe (vegetarian, GF)
- Meal Prep Chicken Quinoa Slaw (GF)
- Teriyaki Turkey Meatball Meal Prep (GF)
- Meal Prep Mexican Chicken Protein Bowls (GF)
- Protein Stuffed Butternut Squash Recipe (GF)
- Healthy Cheese and Spinach Smothered Chicken in Crockpot (GF)
- Healthy Omelet with Spinach and Cheese (vegetarian, GF)
- Healthy Shrimp Tacos Recipe (GF)
10 Detox Snack Recipes:
- Blueberry Almond Cottage Cheese Protein Snack
- Chewy Cranberry Granola Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Coconut Protein Balls
- Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Muffin
- Healthy Blue Cheese Dip + Veggies
- Low Calorie Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Low Calorie Loaded Potato Skins
- Homemade Stovetop Popcorn Recipe
- Easy Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Cottage Cheese Meal Prep Snack Boxes
- Print out the meal planner below (or open in it a separate window so that you can fill it out before printing it).
- Choose when you will be having your detox meal… Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.
- Choose 2-3 breakfast smoothies and add them to the meal planner alternating them between days (every other day).Special Note: If the calories are very low (under 200 calories) you may double the serving size.
- Choose 2-3 lunches or lunch smoothies and add them to the meal planner alternating them between days (every other day).Special Note: If the calories are very low (under 200 calories) you may double the serving size.
- Choose 7 dinners or dinner smoothies and add them to the days you want to make them on.Special Note: If the calories are very low (under 200 calories) you may double the serving size.
- Choose 4-8 snacks and add them to the meal planner alternating them between days (every other day).Special Note: Depending on your calorie goals, you may need 2-3 snacks per day.
- SPECIAL TIP: This 3 day detox can be done for 3, 5, 7 days… Or you can use the added breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes to complete out your weekly meal plan. This will help you stay on the healthy eating lifestyle.
- Click on the recipe links to print out each recipe card.
Three Day Detox Diet… Continued
I have been doing this plan once a week for some time now, it’s easy and effective and allows me to go out to eat and really enjoy food. With that said, once a week is perfectly fine, but once a month is also fantastic!
If you’re looking to lose more weight, quickly, try out my free Detox Week Plan. You can also pick up the book here which includes 130 recipes and 4 weight loss plans.
If you’re looking to simply increase your health and eat better, try out my cookbook LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING DETOX WEEK. There are 4 detox plans in the cookbook, and the Detox Lifestyle will be perfect for you… well, all 4 plans you’ll love as well as the 130 recipes.