I recently tried the Knockout Tacos at Qdoba, and the Drunken Yardbird Tacos were by far my favorite. I wanted to see if I could cut the calories and make these yummy chicken tacos at home.
The result was a delicious, skinny copycat recipe of Qdoba’s Drunken Yardbird Tacos.
Drunken Yardbird Taco Recipe:
Try out this homemade version of Qdoba’s Drunken Yardbird Tacos, it’s low calorie, Gluten free, and easy enough for the most hectic weeknight dinner.
Drunken Yardbird Taco Ingredients:
- 3 limes (divided)
- 1/4 cup tequila (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or garlic powder if you’re looking to reduce salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup Organic Salsa
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons cojita cheese, crumbled
- Hot sauce (optional)
Drunken Yardbird Tacos Directions:
You will want to marinade the Drunken Yardbird Tacos for as long as possible, a minimum of 1 hour, however 12-24 hours is better.
- To a gallon freezer bag combine the juice of 2 limes, tequila, chili powder, garlic salt and pepper.
- Slice the chicken breasts into two thin filets. Add the chicken filets to the Drunken Yardbird taco marinade, refrigerate until you are ready to cook. (Note- I do this the night before, you will need 1-24 hours of marinating time.)
- Add the oil to a large skillet and heat on medium high heat. Add in the chicken (reserve the Drunken Yardbird Taco marinade) and cook for 5 minutes on each side, until browned and a little charred.
- Meanwhile make the guacamole. Add the avocado, 2 tablespoons of the salsa, 2 tablespoons of the red onion and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro to a bowl. Cut the remaining lime into wedges and squeeze 1/4 to 1/2 of the lime juice over the avocado (reserve the remaining lime wedges for serving). Mash the guacamole well with a fork, add salt and pepper as needed, and set aside.
- Once the chicken is mostly cooked and a bit charred, remove from the skillet and turn off the heat. Add the reserved Drunken Yardbird Taco marinade to the skillet.
- Chop the chicken into small bites and add back to the skillet. Cook on medium high heat until the marinade is absorbed by the chicken, about 10 minutes.
- To assemble the Drunken Yardbird Tacos: Top the tortillas with chicken, red onion, cilantro, cojita cheese, salsa and guacamole. squeeze over some lime juice and a dash of your favorite hot sauce.