This Low Calorie Vegetable Soup is just 82 calories and so easy to make! It’s packed with plant based proteins and 100% all-natural!
Everything You’ll Need
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive oil spray – Cooking spray also works, or 1 teaspoon oil.
- 1 onion – Yellow onions are the best in this recipe, but white and red will also work
- 5 carrots – Any color works, so does baby carrots.
- 3 celery – You can swap for more carrots, or onions.
- 1 bell pepper – Any color of bell pepper will work.
- 4 cloves garlic – Adds a ton of flavor and round out this yummy soup
- 9 cups vegetable broth – Chicken broth or low sodium broths also work.
- 1 (28-oz can) crushed tomatoes – Canned is ideal, but fresh works and will boost nutrition.
- 2 potatoes – You can swap for sweet potatoes, or skip all together.
- 2 cups green beans – Fresh or frozen is best, or swap for a veggie swap (see below).
- ¼ cup fresh parsley – Fresh parsley is best, but you can swap it for dried.
- 2 bay leaves – Really boosts flavor without adding calories, a pinch of dried oregano will also work well.
- ½ teaspoon thyme – I like to use fresh in this recipe, but dried will work too.
- Salt and Pepper – You can skip the salt if your diet requires it, and use fresh ground pepper if you have it for best flavor.
- Metric Measurements in recipe card below
Tools You’ll Need:
- Large pot with lid
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large spoon (like a wooden spoon)
Low Calorie Vegetable Soup
Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe Variations
Low Carb Vegetable Soup
To lower the carbs, remove the potatoes from the recipe. You can also add in a favorite vegetable to replace them, or just omit all together. And you can balance out the carbs more by boosting the protein. Add 1-2 scoops unflavored collagen or protein powder to a bowl, ladle in 1 cup hot broth over the powder and mix well. Then move back to the pot and mix in.
Low Sodium Vegetable Soup
To keep the sodium in this recipe low, remove the salt from the recipe and use low sodium broth. Just before serving, add the juice of 1/4 lemon to the soup, mix and taste. Then add in more as needed, or serve individual bowls with lemon wedges to add to each serving as needed.
High Protein Vegetable Soup
To boost the protein in this recipe, add 1-2 scoops unflavored collagen or protein powder to a bowl. Then ladle in 1 cup hot broth over the powder and mix well. Then move back to the pot and mix in.
Low Sugar Vegetable Soup
To lower the sugar, omit the potatoes, or swap them out for another vegetable. You can also boost the protein and balance out the nutrition more as needed.
If you can’t get or eat (or just don’t like) one of the vegetables, you can swap it out for any of these healthy swaps.
- Sweet potatoes
Healthy Vegetable Soup Meal Prep & Storage
Meal Prep – Make the soup according to the directions, and then cool completely. Move to individual containers, or large containers for family meals. Freeze or refrigerate for later.
Frozen Soup – The soup will hold for 1 month in the freezer. Add to a freezer bag and freeze flat, or in an air tight container. Make sure any containers are no more than 2/3 full as the soup expands as it freezes.
Refrigerated Soup – Will hold for 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container or jar.
Reheat – Add fresh or frozen soup to a medium or large sauce pot and heat on low until hot (10-20 minutes). Or reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes for defrosted, or 5 minutes for frozen.
Low Calorie Vegetable Soup Recipe
More Low Calorie Soup Recipes:
Low Calorie Vegetable Soup
- Olive oil spray
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28- oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and halved
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, spray with olive oil. Add onions, carrots, celery, and bell pepper and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in vegetable broth, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed, serve hot.
About the Author
Hi, my name is Audrey Johns and I am a 4 time best selling cookbook author! All 4 of my low calorie cookbooks are published by HarperCollins (the oldest publishing house in the US!) and have been featured on prominent TV shows like The Today Show, Rachael Ray and The Doctors. I am a low calorie and healthy recipe authority and my delicious recipes are tried and loved by thousands of readers.
After a one year 150 pound weight loss (and I’ve kept it off for 13 years!) I started sharing all of my low calorie recipes with the world. They are always all-natural and geared around weight loss and weight management. I have even made some of these recipes with my Biggest Loser pal Bob Harper! Check out my weight loss story, my best selling cookbooks, and my numerous TV appearances by clicking here.