This Low Calorie Teriyaki Chicken Recipe is just 274 calories and is packed with 34.1g of protein. It comes with a wonderful healthy teriyaki sauce, healthy ways to serve it, and meal prep tips.
Low Calorie Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
What You’ll Find Below:
Healthy Teriyaki Chicken Recipe Variations
Low Sugar Teriyaki Chicken
To make this teriyaki chicken low sugar, you’ll want to swap out the brown sugar and the honey with low sugar alternatives. I have included links in the recipe card below for low calorie honey (keto honey) and an all natural zero calorie brown sugar. You can also swap the sugar out with monk fruit and coconut sugar.
Gluten-Free Teriyaki Chicken
It’s easy to make this teriyaki chicken gluten free! All you need to do is swap out the soy sauce with tamari or amnio acids. You’ll find both with the traditional soy sauce at the grocery store, or in the “natural” isle.
Low Sodium Teriyaki Chicken
To lower the sodium in the teriyaki chicken, you’ll want to remove 1/2 of the teriyaki sauce, and replace it with fresh lemon juice. This recipe will still have some sodium, but this little swap will cut it in half.
High Protein Teriyaki Chicken
This teriyaki chicken is already high in protein, you can boost it even more by adding 1 scoop of unflavored collagen powder to the teriyaki sauce. Also, be sure to choose low carb sides as noted next.
Low Carb Teriyaki Chicken
This teriyaki chicken is already pretty low in carbs, but you can certainly cut them more. You’ll want to use the 2 swaps in the recipe card below for low calorie honey and all-natural zero calorie brown sugar. I attached links to each so you can see what they look like. Finally, you’ll want to make smart choices when it comes to serving. Look for a cauliflower base rice, or serve with lots of veggies for healthy carbs.
Healthy Recipes to Serve with Teriyaki Chicken
- Low Calorie Cauliflower “White Rice”
- Low Calorie Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Low Calorie Veggie Stir Fry
- Low Calorie Garlic Lemon Broccolini
- Low Calorie Fried Rice
Healthy Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep & Storage
Meal Prep and Storage
- Cook the chicken as directed, and cool completely.
- Store single servings in individual air tight containers with any desired sides (see above for healthy ideas).
- Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Freeze for up to a month.
- Reheat teriyaki chicken in the microwave for 2-3 minutes for defrosted chicken or 5 minutes frozen, or in a hot dry skillet for 5-10 minutes.
Low Calorie Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
More Low Calorie Chicken Recipes:
Low Calorie Teriyaki Chicken
- Olive Oil Spray
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into strips
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce or gluten free Tamari
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey or Low Calorie Honey
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar or Zero Calorie All-Natural Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated or minced
- 2 cloves garlic grated or minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray with olive oil.
- Add chicken and brown for 5 minutes then flip and brown for an additional 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the soy sauce, water, honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and cornstarch.
- Add the sauce to the cooked chicken and continue to cook for an additional 1 minute until thickened.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds, and serve hot.
If you’re wondering on how I came up with this low calorie recipe, I’d have to start by introducing myself. My name is Audrey Johns and I am a 4 time best selling cookbook author, and an authority in low calorie, healthy and weight loss recipes! My best selling cookbooks have been published by HarperCollins, one of the largest publishing houses. And I have cooked my healthy recipes with celebrity chefs like Rachael Ray, Nigella Lawson, Anthony Bourdain, and Marcus Sammuleson. I have been on TV shows like The Today Show, Rachael Ray, The Doctors and more, showcasing my low calorie healthy recipes. I know without a doubt that you will love this healthy recipe, thousands of people already have.