The Best French Toast, a Healthy French Toast Recipe that’s under 100 calories and easy to make anytime.
Healthy French Toast can be made, and in this article I will show you how I make French Toast healthy enough to enjoy without blowing your diet.
Making French toast healthy is actually quite easy, with some of my ingredients swaps below, you’ll find a French toast recipe that won’t blow your diet.
In this French toast’ article I’ll do as I have in hundreds of other healthy recipe remixes on the Lose Weight By Eating website… I will show you how I make French toast healthy enough to enjoy every day, without blowing your diet.
Along with my healthy French toast recipe, I will also share 20 recipes with French toast toppings!
Making the best French toast healthy can be easy, and fun. Follow my directions below on how to make French toast healthy, and enjoy your favorite breakfast treat without blowing your diet.
The Best French Toast – A Healthy French Toast Recipe
This low-calorie french toast recipe tastes amazing, and I can’t wait to show you all the delicious toppings you can add to make different recipes for French toast.
In this article you will find:
- French Toast Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make French Toast
- French Toast Recipe Card (Printable and Pin-able!)
- 20 Topping Recipes with French Toast
You can’t beat French toast when it comes to a delicious, sweet breakfast treat!
This long time Lose Weight By Eating reader favorite recipe has been revamped with a printable recipe card, and 20 new topping recipes!
French Toast Recipe Ingredients
I have a few “secret ingredients” in this Healthy French Toast Recipe… they help keep the calories in french toast low, without sacrificing flavor.
I have noted my “secret ingredients” and we will discuss them next.
Ingredients for French Toast Recipes:
- Almond Milk (secret ingredient)
- Vanilla Extract
- Maple Syrup (secret ingredient)
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread (secret ingredient)
Eggs: Eggs are what makes the French toast fluffy and doughy… plus they add protein, bonus!
Almond Milk: My first “secret ingredient”… most recipes will call for heavy cream, or milk. But I have cut 100’s of calories out of this recipe just by using Almond milk in place of heavy cream. Here’s another bonus… almond milk naturally boosts metabolism!
Cinnamon: Did you know cinnamon naturally boosts metabolism? Plus it has ZERO CALORIES! I love adding cinnamon to my recipe for French toast as it adds a ton of flavor without adding any calories.
Vanilla extract: For the best tasting French toast recipes, add vanilla to the eggs! Another ingredient that has practically zero calories, but tons of flavor.
Maple syrup: Another secret ingredient… all natural maple syrup has 1/3 fewer calories than sugar AND it’s sweeter than sugar! I add it in place of sugar in all my French toast recipes, it adds sweetness for fewer calories.
Whole wheat sourdough bread: I know it seems strange to use sourdough bread, but any other bread just turns to mush in the batter. Try it out yourself I know you will love it, plus the slices are so BIG you can cut them in half and it’s still the same size as a whole slice of bread.
Each price is only 90 calories… thanks to all my secret ingredient swaps!
If you are starving and have 3 slices, the calories in french toast are only at 270 calories, not too shabby!
How to Make French Toast
I love making French toast recipes… they have all the flavor of pancakes or waffles, without all the work!
In this French toast how to make section I’ll share some tips on how t o make French toast easy and fast.
How to Make French Toast:
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a shallow bowl or pie pan.
- Dunk the bread into the wet ingredients.
- Cook in a skillet on medium heat until fluffy and golden.
- Top with delicious topping recipes French toast (see below).
In the next section I will go more in-depth on how to make a French toast recipe… I wanted to show you how incredibly simple it can be in making French toast.
The Best French Toast – A Healthy French Toast Recipe
This healthy recipe of French toast is just the start… be sure to scroll below for 20 more recipes for French toast with toppings!
This French toast receipe card is printable and pin-able. So be sure to pin, email, share, post or print so you can make this healthy recipe French toast anytime!
The Best French Toast Recipe
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Real Maple Syrup plus more for topping
- 3 slices Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread
- Heat a griddle or large pan on medium and lightly coat with olive oil spray.
- In a pie pan or shallow bowl combine the egg, egg white, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup and whisk until all is combined, don’t worry if the cinnamon clumps, just get as much smooth as you can.
- One Slice at a time, dip the bread into the egg mixture letting it sit in the mixture on each side for half a minute to soak up the eggs..
- Once each side is coated hold over the pie pan so that any excess will drip off, before placing on your hot griddle.
- Let each side cook until golden brown before flipping it about 3 minutes, DO NOT SQUISH you want them fluffy.
- Flip and repeat, once your french toast slice is done, move to a plate and slice in half (on an angle so you get triangles).
- Serve with more maple syrup, or one of the Topping recipes with French toast below.
Now that you have the directions on how to made French toast in a healthy new way… I can share 20 ways to jazz up your French toast’.
Recipes with French Toast- 20 Topping Recipes!
French toast, make it 20 different ways and never get bored!
You can take any recipe to French toast to the next level with these topping groupings. These recipes have been in the waffle and pancake recipe pages for a while… so I decided to combine all of them here to show you how make French toast different everyday.
1. Berries and cream – add 1/3 cup mixed berries, and 1/4 cup whipped cream.
2. Clouds and rainbows – add 1/4 cup whipped cream, and 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles.
3. Apples and pecans– add 1/4 cup thin sliced apples, and 1 tablespoon pecans to your waffle. Drizzle lightly with maple syrup.
4. Peanut butter and bananas – add half of a sliced banana. Warm 1 tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave for 10-20 seconds, then drizzle over your waffles.
5. Peaches and walnuts – add quarter cup diced peaches, and 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts to your waffles. Drizzle lightly with honey or maple syrup.
6. Double chocolate – add some of my fat free chocolate syrup, and 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips to your waffles.
7. Strawberry banana – add 1/2 of a sliced banana, and 3 chopped strawberries to your waffles. Drizzle lightly with honey, or sprinkle over 1 teaspoon powdered sugar.
8. Lemon blueberry – Add 1/4 cup blueberries, and grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest over your waffles. Lightly drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
9. White chocolate macadamia nut – chop macadamia nuts and sprinkle over waffles along with 1 tablespoon white chocolate chips.
10. Blackberry almond – top waffles with quarter cup blackberries, 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, and an optional 1 tablespoon yogurt.
11. Chocolate Pecan – add 1 tablespoon crushed pecans, 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
12. Bacon Maple – add 1 tablespoon crumbled cooked bacon, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
13. Chocolate Bananas – add half of a slice banana, dark chocolate chips, and my homemade fat free chocolate sauce.
14. Triple Berry – add 1 cup strawberries, blackberries, blueberries to each serving, drizzle over honey.
15. Lemon Almond – add slivered almonds, and great 1 teaspoon lemon zest over pancakes before drizzling with honey.
16. Peaches and Cream – add 1/2 of a peach, sliced, and a tablespoon or two of whipped cream.
17. Chocolate Covered Strawberry – add three diced strawberries, and drizzle over some of my homemade fat free chocolate syrup.
18. Maple Banana Walnut – add half of a slice banana, 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup
19. Strawberry Cheesecake – smear 1 teaspoon cream cheese over pancake top with 2 tablespoons strawberry and a drizzle of honey.
20. Yogurt Parfait – add 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt, and half a cup of mixed berries, drizzle over honey or maple syrup.
You can make healthy French toast everyday and not blow your diet… and with the 20 additional recipes in this section, you’re tastebuds will never get bored!
Final Thoughts on The Best French Toast – A Healthy French Toast Recipe
I know what many of you are thinking… “That’s way too many carbs!” And I won’t lie… you can’t make French toast recipes without carbs.
Here at Lose Weight By Eating, we believe in making the unhealthy, healthier and approachable even when on a diet. You WILL have cravings… and if you keep pushing them away you could find yourself binging on an entire pizza, a gallon of ice cream and completely blowing your diet.
So I will agree… there are a lot of carbs in French toast recipes! But this recipe is only 90 calories per serving… so you can have 2-5 servings and not blow your calorie goal.
Plus, you are having these extra carbs in the morning… when you have lots of time to burn them off and use them as fuel. So please curb your angry comments on carbs, I know there are carbs…