This Low Calorie French Toast is under 100 calories and easy to make anytime. In this article I will show you how I make French Toast healthy enough to enjoy without blowing your diet.
Making French toast healthy is actually quite easy, with some of my ingredients swaps below, you’ll find a French toast recipe that won’t blow your diet.
In this French toast’ article I’ll do as I have in hundreds of other healthy recipe remixes on the Lose Weight By Eating website… I will show you how I make French toast healthy enough to enjoy every day, without blowing your diet.
Along with my healthy French toast recipe, I will also share 20 recipes for French toast toppings!
Making the best low calorie French toast can be easy, and fun. Follow my directions below on how to make French toast healthy, and enjoy your favorite breakfast treat without blowing your diet.
Low Calorie French Toast
What You’ll Find in this Article:
Low Calorie French Toast Ingredients
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this healthy French toast.
Low Calorie French Toast Ingredients:
- Eggs – Eggs are what makes the French toast fluffy and doughy… plus they add protein, bonus!
- Almond Milk – My first “secret ingredient” most recipes will call for heavy cream, or milk. But I have cut 100’s of calories out of this recipe just by using Almond milk in place of heavy cream.
- Cinnamon – Did you know cinnamon naturally boosts metabolism? Plus it has ZERO CALORIES! I love adding cinnamon to my recipe for French toast as it adds a ton of flavor without adding any calories.
- Vanilla Extract – For the best tasting French toast recipes, add vanilla to the eggs! Another ingredient that has practically zero calories, but tons of flavor.
- Maple Syrup – Another secret ingredient… all natural maple syrup has 1/3 fewer calories than sugar AND it’s sweeter than sugar! I add it in place of sugar in all my French toast recipes, it adds sweetness for fewer calories.
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread – I know it seems strange to use sourdough bread, but any other bread just turns to mush in the batter. Try it out yourself I know you will love it, plus the slices are so BIG you can cut them in half and it’s still the same size as a whole slice of bread.
20 Healthy Topping Combinations
1. Berries and cream – add 1/3 cup mixed berries, and 1/4 cup whipped cream.
2. Clouds and rainbows – add 1/4 cup whipped cream, and 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles.
3. Apples and pecans– add 1/4 cup thin sliced apples, and 1 tablespoon pecans to your waffle. Drizzle lightly with maple syrup.
4. Peanut butter and bananas – add half of a sliced banana. Warm 1 tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave for 10-20 seconds, then drizzle over your waffles.
5. Peaches and walnuts – add quarter cup diced peaches, and 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts to your waffles. Drizzle lightly with honey or maple syrup.
6. Double chocolate – add some of my fat free chocolate syrup, and 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips to your waffles.
7. Strawberry banana – add 1/2 of a sliced banana, and 3 chopped strawberries to your waffles. Drizzle lightly with honey, or sprinkle over 1 teaspoon powdered sugar.
8. Lemon blueberry – Add 1/4 cup blueberries, and grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest over your waffles. Lightly drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
9. White chocolate macadamia nut – chop macadamia nuts and sprinkle over waffles along with 1 tablespoon white chocolate chips.
10. Blackberry almond – top waffles with quarter cup blackberries, 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, and an optional 1 tablespoon yogurt.
11. Chocolate Pecan – add 1 tablespoon crushed pecans, 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
12. Bacon Maple – add 1 tablespoon crumbled cooked bacon, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
13. Chocolate Bananas – add half of a slice banana, dark chocolate chips, and my homemade fat free chocolate sauce.
14. Triple Berry – add 1 cup strawberries, blackberries, blueberries to each serving, drizzle over honey.
15. Lemon Almond – add slivered almonds, and great 1 teaspoon lemon zest over pancakes before drizzling with honey.
16. Peaches and Cream – add 1/2 of a peach, sliced, and a tablespoon or two of whipped cream.
17. Chocolate Covered Strawberry – add three diced strawberries, and drizzle over some of my homemade fat free chocolate syrup.
18. Maple Banana Walnut – add half of a slice banana, 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup
19. Strawberry Cheesecake – smear 1 teaspoon cream cheese over pancake top with 2 tablespoons strawberry and a drizzle of honey.
20. Yogurt Parfait – add 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt, and half a cup of mixed berries, drizzle over honey or maple syrup.
How to Make Low Calorie French Toast
French toast is easy and fast, and a great breakfast for weekends and even week days. You can make this recipe in under 10 minutes!
How to Make French Toast:
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a shallow bowl or pie pan.
- Dunk the bread into the wet ingredients.
- Cook in a skillet on medium heat until fluffy and golden.
- Top with delicious topping recipes French toast (see below).
Low Calorie French Toast
You can also make this French toast recipe with my Low Calorie Bread, it will shave off even more calories!
More Low calorie Breakfast Recipes:
Low Calorie French Toast – 90 CALORIES
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Egg White
- ½ cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Real Maple Syrup plus more for topping
- 3 slices Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread
- Heat a griddle or large pan on medium and lightly coat with olive oil spray.
- In a pie pan or shallow bowl combine the egg, egg white, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup and whisk until all is combined, don’t worry if the cinnamon clumps, just get as much smooth as you can.
- One Slice at a time, dip the bread into the egg mixture letting it sit in the mixture on each side for half a minute to soak up the eggs..
- Once each side is coated hold over the pie pan so that any excess will drip off, before placing on your hot griddle.
- Let each side cook until golden brown before flipping it about 3 minutes, DO NOT SQUISH you want them fluffy.
- Flip and repeat, once your french toast slice is done, move to a plate and slice in half (on an angle so you get triangles).
- Serve with more maple syrup, or one of the Topping recipes with French toast below.
Final Thoughts on The Best French Toast – A Healthy French Toast Recipe
I know what many of you are thinking… “That’s way too many carbs!” And I won’t lie… you can’t make French toast recipes without carbs.
Here at Lose Weight By Eating, we believe in making the unhealthy, healthier and approachable even when on a diet. You WILL have cravings… and if you keep pushing them away you could find yourself binging on an entire pizza, a gallon of ice cream and completely blowing your diet.
So I will agree… there are a lot of carbs in French toast recipes! But this recipe is only 90 calories per serving… so you can have 2-5 servings and not blow your calorie goal.
Plus, you are having these extra carbs in the morning… when you have lots of time to burn them off and use them as fuel. So please curb your angry comments on carbs, I know there are carbs…