Chicken enchiladas used to be too time consuming, until I came up with this easy enchiladas recipe.
Not only did I make chicken enchiladas easy to make, I also cut 100’s of calories from the restaurant version in this healthy enchiladas recipe.
In this article I will show you just how easy making chicken enchiladas can be, plus some tricks and tips to help you cut even more prep time for a simple and approachable recipe.
Enchiladas used to be a difficult job, but with my tips and tricks, and easy chicken enchiladas recipe… you’ll feel like you can make this simple dinner recipe anytime!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas | Healthy Enchiladas
Here at Lose Weight By Eating, we’re all about making the unhealthy, high calorie comfort food, low calorie and healthy.
I have one important rule when remaking unhealthy dishes… the healthy versions must taste as good, or better than the full fat versions. Otherwise you might as well have the unhealthy version as a “sometimes” treat, right?!
Here’s what you’ll find in this article:
- Chicken Enchilada Ingredients (Shopping List!)
- How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
- Ingredient Swap to Make Beef Enchiladas
- How to Make Enchiladas Vegetarian
- Tips and Tricks to Make Enchiladas Faster, and Easier
- Easy Recipe for Chicken Enchiladas
The enchiladas sauce below is from my best selling cookbook Lose Weight By Eating, but I used shredded chicken to make this meal easy and fast.
This easy enchiladas article will supply you with several recipes (including beef enchiladas and vegan / vegetarian enchiladas recipes) a chicken enchilada shopping list, and some tips to make enchilada recipes easy.
Chicken Enchilada Ingredients (Shopping List!)
Below you will find all the ingredients you need to make the chicken enchilada recipe below.
If your desire is to make enchiladas vegetarian, or beef enchiladas, see below… I have included ingredients and directions to make them as well.
Here are the Ingredients for Enchilada Sauce:
- Olive oil
- Crushed tomatoes
- Ground allspice
Here are the Chicken Enchilada Ingredients:
- Corn tortillas
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Cheddar cheese
Here are some optional Enchilada Recipe Toppings:
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped fresh jalapeños
- Sliced olives
- Sour cream
Now that you have the shopping list for your easy chicken enchiladas, we can get started making healthy enchiladas right away… they only take 30 minutes!
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
Thanks to my tips and tricks to make enchiladas easy (section below!) you can make these easy chicken enchiladas in 30 minutes or less!
Special Tip: Make sure to check out the “Tips and Tricks” section… to make easy enchiladas in 15 minutes!
This section will supply you with the basics of how to make chicken enchiladas.
Simple Chicken Enchilada Directions:
- Make the sauce: This all natural sauce (below) is easy to make… thanks to the blender.
- Shred the chicken: This chicken enchilada recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken!
- Add some sauce to the chicken: This will save you spreading time later… Just mix 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce to the chicken and it’s now flavored chicken and you can skip spreading the sauce in the tortilla!
- Steam the tortillas: This may seam like one extra step, but just 10 seconds in the microwave (wrapped in a wet paper towel) will save you time later… it makes the tortillas extra easy to handle.
- Fill, roll, place, and bake: Now that you’ve got soft and easy to fold tortillas grab a bit of chicken, a pinch of cheese and roll them up.
This recipe takes only 30 minutes from start to finish, and that includes making homemade sauce!
Special Tip: There are many more tips to making these easy chicken enchiladas faster… be sure to see the “Tips and Tricks” section below and shave up to 15 minutes off your cook time!
Ingredient Swap to Make Beef Enchiladas
Making beef enchiladas is easy… and a fantastic way to use up leftover ground beef or taco meat!
In the recipe for chicken enchilada below I have supplied you with directions on how to make beef enchiladas… but I also wanted to give you a few tips to make that easier.
Here’s how to make Easy Beef Enchiladas:
- Swap the chicken for 1 pound ground beef.
- Brown the beef, no need to season it!
- Drain the fat.
- Add 1/4 cup enchiladas sauce to the pan and mix well.
- Proceed with the Easy Enchilada recipe below.
The easy enchiladas recipe below is so versatile, you can use any filling in place of the chicken!
In this section I have showed you how to make beef enchiladas… up next, I’ll share how to make vegetarian enchiladas.
It’s easy to make beef enchiladas with this chicken enchilada recipe (below)… simply crumble and brown 1 pound of beef and add the sauce!
How to Make Vegetarian Enchiladas
You can easily make vegetarian enchiladas in place of the chicken filling below.
You can use the veggie mixture below, or use some imitation meat in your enchiladas… you just need 2 cups, and the homemade sauce to do so.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Enchilada filling:
- Bell pepper
- Frozen corn
- Enchilada sauce
- Sharp cheddar cheese, or vegan cheese
In the Easy Enchiladas Recipe below will supply you with ingredient measurements for the vegetarian enchiladas.
The directions to make vegetarian enchiladas are in the printable recipe card as we’ll, but here are the directions as well.
How to Make Vegetarian Enchiladas:
- Slice all the veggies.
- Cook over medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add in 1/4 cup enchilada sauce and mix well.
- Continue with the Easy Enchiladas recipe.
These veggie enchiladas are hearty and delicious, and made quickly if you cook the veggies while you make the enchilada sauce!
Special Tip: Below in the tips and tricks section I’ll show you how to make this veggie enchilada recipe even easier!
Below I will share my #1 trick to making vegetarian enchiladas easy and fast…
Tips and Tricks to Make Enchiladas Faster, and Easier
Now that you have your grocery list for chicken enchiladas, and your recipes for beef enchiladas and vegetarian enchilada recipes, let’s shave some time off the cook time…
Special Tip: In this section you can shave up to 15 minutes off your enchilada cook time… making these 15 Minute Enchiladas!!
5 Tips and Tricks to Make Easy Enchiladas:
- Get a grocery store rotisserie chicken– Skip cooking the chicken and get a pre-cooked chicken at the store!
- Make your Enchilada Sauce in bulk– You already have the blender out… why not make a double, or a triple batch and freeze in freezer bags for pre-prepped meals.
- Buy pre-shredded cheese– Half the time the stuff is on sale anyhow!
- Buy frozen fajita veggies– For the vegetarian enchiladas, skip the slicing and cooking! Frozen veggies are soft when they thaw out. Just toss in sauce and assemble!
- Prep frozen enchilada bags– In a gallon freezer bag combine the following: 1 batch of enchilada sauce (in it’s own bag), 2 cups shredded chicken (in it’s own bag), 1 bag of shredded cheese, 8 tortillas. Freeze and pull out the morning before you cook.
I personally always make a triple batch of the enchilada sauce… it’s so easy to do! Plus it saves me time later on, and helps me make this easy chicken enchiladas recipe in just 15 minutes!
You can make easy enchiladas in just 15 minutes with the tips and tricks in this section!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe (Beef and Vegetarian Enchiladas)
These easy chicken enchiladas are low calorie and delicious!
I’ve shaved off time by adding enchilada sauce to the chicken (or veggies, or beef) so that you can skip seasoning the filling, and spreading the sauce… that’s two fewer steps!
Special Tip: Thanks to the 5 Tips and Tricks above you can make these enchiladas in just 15 minutes… be sure to check out that section!
This Easy Chicken Enchilada Recipe can be made 4 ways:
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Beef Enchiladas
- Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Vegan Enchiladas (see vegetarian, and use vegan cheese)
Easy Chicken Enchiladas Recipes (Plus Beef Enchiladas and Vegetarian Enchiladas)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 1 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Enchilada sauce see above
- Enchilada filling see below
- Chopped cilantro optional topping
- Chopped fresh jalapeños optional topping
- Sliced olives optional topping
- Sour cream optional topping
- Guacamole optional￼￼ topping
Chicken enchilada filling:
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce above
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
Beef enchilada filling:
- ￼ 2 cups crumbled cooked ground beef
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce above
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded￼
Vegetarian enchilada filling:
- ￼1 large onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce above￼
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese or vegan cheese, shredded￼
Enchilada sauce directions:
- Heat the oil ￼in a large pan over medium heat. Add the jalapeño, garlic, thyme, and onion to the pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the onion is soft, about three minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, and add the canned tomatoes, allspice, and 2/3 cup of water.
- Blend with the lid slightly ajar until smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the hot pan, bring it to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.￼
Chicken enchiladas assembly:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To a bowl, combine the shredded chicken, and 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce. Mix well.￼
- ￼Steam the tortillas in the microwave according to directions on package.
- Pour 1/2 of the enchilada ￼sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13“ baking dish￼.
- Hold a tortilla in your hand and add 1 tablespoon of the cheese, and about 1/4 cup of the filling.￼
- Roll up the tortilla and place it in a baking dish, seam side down. Proceed to assemble the rest of the enchiladas
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake for five minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish the enchiladas with optional toppings, and serve hot.￼
This easy chicken enchilada recipe is healthy, all natural, and filling!