This Low Calorie Royal Icing is ZERO calories!! I was able to cut all the calories, carbs and sugar in this recipe all thanks to one ingredient. My favorite all-natural zero calorie powdered sugar. I supplied a link in the recipe card below so you can easily find it at the store or online.
Everything You’ll Need
- 1 cup all-natural zero calorie powdered sugar (or regular powdered sugar)
- ½ teaspoon all natural vanilla extract (see recipe card for more flavors)
- 1.5 teaspoons water (or see below for more flavors)
- All-Natural Food Coloring (optional)
Low Calorie Royal Icing
Zero Calorie Icing Meal Prep and Storage
Make Icing Ahead – Mix the icing ingredients and cover with an airtight seal (either plastic wrap or a lid).
Make & Color Icing Ahead – Mix the icing ingredients and divide between 4 smaller bowls (or more). Add the food coloring sparingly (adding too much will make the icing runny) and cover each bowl with plastic wrap or a lid.
Leftover Icing – You can store leftover zero calorie icing in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Cookies – Add decorated cookies to a large bag or individual bags. Close and store in the fridge for 5-6 days or the freezer for up to a month.
Low Calorie Royal Icing Recipe
More Low Calorie Recipes:
Low Calorie Royal Icing (ZERO CALORIES)
- To a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar, vanilla (or other extract- see notes for more flavors), and water.
- Mix well until smooth and no lumps.
- If using, add in the food coloring (you can also scoop 1/4 of the icing into 4 separate bowls and add different colors to each).
- Mix well, and add more water 1/4 teaspoon at a time to thin as needed.
- Peppermint Icing – Swap out the vanilla extract for peppermint extract.
- Almond Icing – Swap out the vanilla extract for almond extract.
- Lemon Icing – Swap out the vanilla extract and water for fresh lemon juice.
- Strawberry Icing – Omit 1/2 teaspoon of the water and replace with 1 tablespoon seedless strawberry jam.
About the Author
Hi, my name is Audrey Johns and I am a 4 time best selling cookbook author! All 4 of my low calorie cookbooks are published by HarperCollins (the oldest publishing house in the US!) and have been featured on prominent TV shows like The Today Show, Rachael Ray and The Doctors. I am a low calorie and healthy recipe authority and my delicious recipes are tried and loved by thousands of readers.
After a one year 150 pound weight loss (and I’ve kept it off for 13 years!) I started sharing all of my low calorie recipes with the world. They are always all-natural and geared around weight loss and weight management. I have even made some of these recipes with my Biggest Loser pal Bob Harper! Check out my weight loss story, my best selling cookbooks, and my numerous TV appearances by clicking here.