This Low Calorie French Onion Soup is just 216 calories for 2 cups! Plus it’s packed with 14.2g of protein and can be made 2 ways.
Everything You’ll Need
- Olive oil spray
- 4 onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 thin slices of French bread
- ¼ cup grated Gruyere Cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Low Calorie French Onion Soup
Low Calorie French Onion Soup Meal Prep and Storage
Meal Prep – Cook the soup as directed (but do not add in the bread or cheese yet.) Cook the crouton cheese topping on a baking sheet as directed in the recipe card. Cool soup and croutons completely. Scoop single servings into individual containers, or family sized servings into gallon freezer bags (or jars/containers with lids). Place the topping croutons in separate containers.
Frozen Soup – Be sure any container is only filled 2/3 full as the soup will expand in the freezer. Store for up to a month in the freezer. If freezing gallon bags, lay flat to freeze to save storage room.
Refrigerated Soup – Will hold in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Reheating – Add to a medium or large sauce pot, heat frozen for 30 minutes on low. Or defrosted soup for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat. Meanwhile reheat the croutons in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes on a baking sheet. Scoop servings into bowls, top with crouton and serve hot.
Low Calorie French Onion Soup Recipe
More Low Calorie Soup Recipes:
Low Calorie French Onion Soup
- Slice onions in half then cut the halves vertically into thin slices.
- Spray saute pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions, salt, pepper and thyme, and cook, stirring gently until the onions start to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook onions, stirring every few minutes.
- Once the onions are a light golden brown (about 25 minutes), add in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add beef broth, sherry and thyme, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each.
- Divide the gruyere and Parmesan cheese over the tops of all 4 bowls. Place bowls a rimmed baking sheet and broil until cheese bubbles and browns, about 2-3 minutes.
If you don’t have oven safe bowls:
- Add the slices of bread to a baking sheet. Top with cheese and broil until the cheese bubbles and browns.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls and top each with a cheese topped slice of bread.
About the Author
Hi, my name is Audrey Johns and I am a 4 time best selling cookbook author! All 4 of my low calorie cookbooks are published by HarperCollins (the oldest publishing house in the US!) and have been featured on prominent TV shows like The Today Show, Rachael Ray and The Doctors. I am a low calorie and healthy recipe authority and my delicious recipes are tried and loved by thousands of readers.
After a one year 150 pound weight loss (and I’ve kept it off for 13 years!) I started sharing all of my low calorie recipes with the world. They are always all-natural and geared around weight loss and weight management. I have even made some of these recipes with my Biggest Loser pal Bob Harper! Check out my weight loss story, my best selling cookbooks, and my numerous TV appearances by clicking here.
Nutrition and Calories in French Onion Soup
The nutrition and calories below are based off 1 serving (2 cups) of the Healthy French Onion Soup Recipe above.