Many of you have heard me talk about my favorite cookbook Pretty Delicious by model turned chef Candice Kumai, this week her new book Cook Yourself Sexy comes out and she has been kind enough to share one of her sexy meals with us!
I have not yet received my copy of Cook Yourself Sexy so this is a real treat. Candice’s last book taught us how to use FWB, Foods With Benefits. So for instance this meal’s FWB is Butternut Squash which boasts loads of Vitamin A for healthy eyes and Vitamin C to boost your immunity.
Butternut Squash is especially beneficial to pregnant women as it has loads of folate to protect against birth defects. I’m excited to try out this recipe, I have eagerly been waiting my pre-ordered copy of Cook Yourself Sexy for 2 months, so getting a recipe early is a real treat! Pick up a copy by clicking on the picture above and COOK YOURSELF SEXY!
Makes 6 servings of Dreamy Butternut Squash Mac ‘n’ Cheese:
Mac ’N’ Cheese-
- 21⁄2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, halved, and seeded, then quartered and sliced into triangles
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock to veganize
- 1 pound small elbow macaroni or mini shells
- 2 tablespoons grated Gruyere
Herbed Breadcrumb Topping-
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
To make the Mac ’n’ Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large saucepan, add the butternut squash, garlic cloves, thyme sprig, unsweetened almond milk, and stock. Cook until the butternut squash is fork-tender. Remove the sprig of thyme.
2. Place the squash mixture in a food processor or blender and puree until velvety smooth.
3. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in salted water until it is al dente (semifirm). Drain and rinse with cool water.
4. Spread out the macaroni in a lightly greased 13-inch x 9-inch pan. Pour the squash puree over the noodles.
To make the Breadcrumbs and Bake
1. Combine all the ingredients for the herbed breadcrumb topping.
2. Cover the mac ’n’ cheese with foil, place in the oven, and bake for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and evenly spread the breadcrumb topping and Gruyere over the top. Transfer to the broiler and broil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
Per serving: 443 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 16 g protein, 6 g fiber, 10 g sugars, 280 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrates -A special thanks to Candice Kumai, her publishers and staff for sharing her recipe with us and to Lauren Volo and Wiliam Waldren for the beautiful photos.