The 10 Best Low Calorie High Protein Sandwich Meats, learn how to build a healthy sandwich with the best healthy lunch meats.
When it comes to building a healthy and satisfying sandwich, the choice of protein is paramount. Whether you’re an on-the-go professional or a health-conscious individual, selecting the right ingredients can make all the difference.
In this article, I’ll share the top 10 low calorie high protein sandwich meats that not only tantalize your taste buds but also provide you with the essential nutrients your body needs.
10 Low Calorie High Protein Sandwich Meats
I have included the nutrition for each of these low calorie lunch meats. This way you can make healthy decisions when making sandwiches.
1. Turkey Breast
Turkey breast stands as a lean and flavorful choice, offering an impressive protein content while keeping the calorie count low. Its succulent texture and mild taste make it a versatile option for sandwiches.
- Nutrition: Lean protein, low in fat and calories
- Protein Content: Approximately 28g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Around 135 calories per 3-ounce serving
2. Chicken Breast
Chicken breast, with its lean protein profile, is a staple for fitness enthusiasts. Packed with essential nutrients and a delectable taste, it’s a fantastic addition to any sandwich.
- Nutrition: Lean protein, rich in vitamins and minerals
- Protein Content: About 31g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Approximately 165 calories per 3-ounce serving
3. Roast Beef
Roast beef brings a savory richness to your sandwich while providing high-quality protein. Opt for lean cuts to keep the calorie content in check without compromising on taste.
- Nutrition: High-quality protein, iron, and B vitamins
- Protein Content: Around 28g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Approximately 180 calories per 3-ounce serving
Ham offers a classic and slightly salty flavor that pairs perfectly with a variety of toppings. Look for low-sodium options to keep the calorie count low and nutritional value high.
- Nutrition: Good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals
- Protein Content: Approximately 18g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Around 120 calories per 3-ounce serving
Tuna, whether fresh or canned, is an excellent source of protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Its distinct taste adds a delightful twist to your sandwich.
- Nutrition: Protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and B vitamins
- Protein Content: About 20g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Approximately 100 calories per 3-ounce serving
Salmon is a nutritional powerhouse, boasting both protein and omega-3s. Its bold flavor and tender texture make it an exceptional choice for a gourmet sandwich experience.
- Nutrition: Protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D
- Protein Content: Around 23g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Approximately 180 calories per 3-ounce serving
7. Lean Pork
Lean pork, such as tenderloin or loin chops, can be a surprising addition to your sandwich repertoire. It’s a source of lean protein that adds a unique taste to your meals.
- Nutrition: Lean protein, B vitamins, and zinc
- Protein Content: About 26g per 3-ounce serving
- Calories: Approximately 145 calories per 3-ounce serving
8. Deli Slices
Deli slices, available in various protein options, are convenient and customizable. Opt for low-sodium and nitrate-free versions for a healthier choice. (see FAQ for more information on what constitutes “deli meats”)
- Nutrition: Various protein options, sodium content varies
- Protein Content: Depending on the type, typically around 6-10g per 1-ounce serving
- Calories: Varies based on type, usually 30-60 calories per 1-ounce serving
9. Turkey Bacon
Turkey bacon offers a satisfying smoky flavor with reduced fat content compared to traditional bacon. It’s a guilt-free way to add a burst of taste to your sandwiches.
- Nutrition: Protein, lower fat content compared to regular bacon
- Protein Content: Approximately 4g per 2 slices
- Calories: Around 70 calories per 2 slices
10. Plant-Based Alternatives
For those seeking a meatless option, explore plant-based alternatives like tofu, tempeh, or seitan. These choices provide protein while catering to vegetarian and vegan diets.
- Nutrition: Plant-based protein, often fortified with vitamins
- Protein Content: Varies based on the type of alternative
- Calories: Varies based on the type of alternative
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Yes, these sandwich meats are suitable for weight loss due to their low calorie and high protein content. They provide a satisfying and nutritious option to keep you on track with your goals.
Absolutely! These meats are versatile and can be used in wraps, salads, and even as toppings for your favorite dishes. Get creative with your meal choices!
When choosing your sandwich meats, look for cuts labeled as “lean” or “low-fat.” Additionally, trimming visible fat before consumption can help reduce calorie intake.
Yes, for those following plant-based diets, options like tofu, tempeh, and seitan provide ample protein. They can be used in sandwiches to ensure a balanced meal.
Absolutely! Preparing sandwiches with these meats in advance is a convenient way to have a healthy meal ready to go. Just assemble your ingredients and store them for freshness.
Usually when a sandwich has “deli slices” it refers to a combination of meat. I included it in this guide as some will want to purchase sandwiches rather than make them, and therefore the information was important to this article.
Incorporating the right sandwich meats into your meals can elevate your eating experience while maintaining your health goals.
The 10 low calorie high protein sandwich meats mentioned above provide a diverse range of flavors and nutritional benefits, making them great for healthy sandwiches.
Whether you’re looking to build muscle, lose weight, or simply enjoy a delicious meal, these options have got you covered.
So, go ahead and create your ultimate sandwich masterpiece with these fantastic choices!