I don’t like store bought crackers, they are full of preservatives, artificial flavors and chemicals. That’s why I decided to make my own yummy Homemade Wheat Thins Crackers with just flour, salt, water and oil… you probably have everything to make these in your pantry right now.
Add in extra ingredients like chopped Rosemary and Parmesan (in these pictures) for an added flavor burst, or stick to the original “Wheat Thins” flavor. You can freeze 1/2 of the uncooked dough in a zip lock bag for later if you like, or make the entire batch all at once.
Makes 200 Homemade Wheat Thins Crackers.
- 3 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
***Flavor your crackers with these ingredients***
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoons shredded Parmesan
Sun-dried Tomato Basil-
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus 1 teaspoon to sprinkle over tops
2. Use a standing Kitchen-aid Mixer with dough hook, or a bowl and wooden spoon. Combine all ingredients until you have a firm dough.
3. Divide dough into 4 balls. One at a time roll each out to a large, very thin rectangle, (be sure you get them as thin as you can.) Use a pizza wheel or knife to cut into small squares (or use cookie cutters for fun shapes) and place on a rimmed baking sheet, sprinkling with more salt if desired.
4. Bake the crackers for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
These easy crackers are perfect for lunch boxes, but elegant enough to serve with cheese at a cocktail party. These are so easy and inexpensive that you will never want to purchase the chemical, preservative laced boxed crackers from the store again.
Nutrition information for Homemade Wheat Thins Crackers:
Each serving (5 Homemade Wheat Thins Crackers) has:
- Calories: 50
- Fat: 2
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 1
- Carbs: 7